The Tea-Party
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My humble abode for American TV Wrestling.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

1999 Discussion

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

1999 Discussion Empty
PostSubject: 1999 Discussion   1999 Discussion EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 10:55 pm

Discuss
Back to top Go down
https://theteaparty.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin

1999 Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1999 Discussion   1999 Discussion EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 1:26 pm

Lizmark Jr. vs. Silver King (WCWSN, 03/27/99)
Lizmark and Silver King get about five minutes and we get a bunch of fluid aerial stuff from both men (including Silver King cross bodyblockin' out of the ring) and some kicks that were stiffer than Curt Hennig from the King, who is my official underused luchador of the week. And he goes over! Bang!

Bobby Duncum Jr. vs. Bull Payne (WCWSN, 03/27/99)
Aw, mother of fuck. Bull Payne. Bobby Duncum. Aerial stuff that didn't blow from Duncum. Good pacing. Stiff enough kicks. I don't want to see it again or anything, but it was up here this time.

Disorderly Conduct vs. The Armstrongs (WCWSN, 03/27/99)
DC and the Armstrongs go at it for the Worldwide tag straps! The Armstrongs as faces work like nothing so much as the Fantastics, with some utterly graceful doubleteaming. If there were still territories, you could pencil them in as Continental Tag Champs (especially if the Bullet were booking). Of course, there aren't still territories, so the best worker in the world isn't the traveling world champ letting Pez Whatley wrestle him for 60 minutes and tag wrestling is dead. But the Armstrongs still rule, and this was every bit as good at their previous tag series with Raven and Kanyon. DC goes over for the belts, though. And they get a DC Sucks chant!

Chris Jericho vs. Perry Saturn (WCWSN, 03/27/99)
Chris "I've Always Wanted to live in Connecticut" Jericho and Saturn worked well enough together, but the non-finish was depressingly predictable and advanced the storyline not at all.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

1999 Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1999 Discussion   1999 Discussion EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Fit Finlay vs. Brian Knobbs (WCWSN, 06/05/99)
Brian Knobbs, still thinking about it, gets his chance at being carried to What Worked by Dave Finlay, who used to wrestle ***1/2 matches with Jushin Liger. Apparently having an angle has lit a fire under Fit's butt, as he throws Nasty around for a few seconds before bumping like a mother for him. Knobbs bothered to sell here, and the match had a certain energy up until Knobbs' first offensive sequence when it started to slow down. This was stiff enough, not a squash, and therefore was okay for what it was.

Psychosis vs. Billy Kidman (WCWSN, 06/05/99)
Psicosis/Kidman is our main event, and the closest thing to a wrestling match all night. Still you know its WCWSN because the spots came early and often in the first couple of minutes. Yet they were the blandest of spots, as Psic and Kidman each had their opponents disadvantaged on the arena floor, but there were no topes or planchas whatsoever. Rather than build the match through mat wrestling and such to counterblanace the highspots, Psic played to the crowd before going to a rear chinlock. Some hesitation during transitions, which is beneath both of these workers. Kidman wins with a cradle reversal after blocking a Tornado DDT. While this match didn't overtly suck (about **), considering that these two are both capable of so much more (especially in terms of match flow and highspots), this match disappointed.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

1999 Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1999 Discussion   1999 Discussion EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Eddy Guerrero vs. Adrian Byrd (WCWSN, 07/24/99)
Eddy opens up the program, which can only mean it's all downhill from here. Of course, he's matched up with the creme of all cruisers and luchadores: Adrian Byrd. Eddy leads Byrd through a nice mat sequence early-on, playing the surly tecnico nicely. Byrd gets some offense and Eddy comes back with strikes and more high-impact offense, dusting off some of the heel shtick in the process. Frog splash completes this four minute match. Nothing extraordinary here. I would've liked to see Eddy work over Byrd's legs more like he did early on. I would also like it if Eddy's turn on Rey weren't being played as such a forgone conclusion.

Juventud Guerrera vs. Billy Kidman (WCWSN, 07/24/99)
Kidman/Juvi was pretty hot. Nice to see Juvi counter a Kidman powerbomb here. 10 minutes, no blown spots that I caught, nothing to bitch about generally. A solid main event.

Hacksaw Jim Duggan vs. Barry Darsow (WCWSN, 07/24/99)
Might have worked if Darsow had dusted off the Khruschev trunks. Might have worked if Darsow had ambushed Duggan during the cancer speech. Does work because Duggan "shoots" in pre-match oratory, saying that he has no interest in being part of that dog and pony show on Monday nights, preferring instead to work on Saturday Night: where his real fans are. He finishes with the Tiger Driver '91, which I thought was odd for such a short match, but it's his prerogative.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

1999 Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1999 Discussion   1999 Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

1999 Discussion
Page 1 of 1